I suggest you ...

Make nicknames universal

i think that nicknames set by the parents should be the names that show for anyone looking at the account. For example, if my brother created his account with just his name, Matt, but I put his nickname as Uncle Matt, everyone should see his name as Uncle Matt when he loves a moment or makes a comment.

89 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Sarah McClure shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  AdminIpek (Chief Satisfaction Officer, lifecake) responded  · 

Hi, Sarah! Thanks so much for this (and sorry for the delay in responding). Seems to be getting a lot of votes.

We didn’t do this currently because we know in many families people have their own personal nicknames for people (i.e. ‘Grandma’ for me is ‘Mum’ to my mother). This is our concern with making things universal.

Also, who gets to decide what someone’s nickname is? If it’s personal, then there is no issue. But if it’s universal, then only one person can decide.

Would love to know yours (and anyone else’s) thoughts on this!

- Nick, from the Lifecake team

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Tasha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would like the nicknames I set to show up. It looks weird having 'mum mobile' from her contact liking photos when my child's mum is me

• Katherine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My mother in law and my step-mother have the same first name. They don't like each other. One HATES that it can look like a comment the other could have been made by her. HATES. Would love to avoid this family drama.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Sarah. There should be a way to fix the mom/dad confusion. It looks like when you invite someone, the name it assigns them in Lifecake is pulled from your contact card? So my wife's father's comments all show up as "Dad" in Lifecake, and other family members confuse his comments with mine.

Pulling the name from contacts should be disabled as that is only going to cause confusion. Invitees will not realize that they can change the name when setting up the account, or may not realize that there will be confusion going forward with the name that was automatically pulled from contacts for them. But the people affected by this also need a way to fix the names of existing family members.

• theteegardenfam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I fully agree with Ipek on this one. I am Mommy to my children but Auntie Di to my nieces and nephews, and am Cousin Di for my cousins. It would be way too confusing to go universal. It would be nice however to be able to customize your names more.

• Ambrocia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Like Sarah mentioned, no one realizes they can change their nickname at signup and it would be nice for the parents to be able to override. I'm also having the "mom" confusion. I would like to be able to fix it because the grandparents aren't as tech savvy. So even if I told them how to change nicknames, they wouldn't do it.

• Sarah McClure commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The other thing is that only the inviter is able to change the nickname and that nickname is only displayed on the device of the inviter. Everybody else can only see the name of the person as their profile creates it.

Either every user needs to be displayed as the nickname that the parents choose for them or every user should have the ability to nickname different users. That's the only thing that makes any sense.

• Sarah McClure commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I understand where you're coming from. I still think that the parents should be able to choose the nickname. In my family, for example, now that my mom has grandchildren, everyone calls her Grandma. Even her husband.
        I think a large part of the issue is that when a family member registers for an account, their name automatically fills in as the name in the parent's phone. In my family's case, most of the people I sent invitations to didn't realize that they could change their name on the registration page. So my mom's comments all day that they are from "Mom" which confused other users because they assumed I was Mom because the pictures of my child. So I guess that the possible solutions to that are to either make nicknames universal or dispose of the prefilled information on the registration form.

I'm having the same problem with nicknames. They're inconsistent and confusing as is. Every device should show the names that I've chosen for each user. Examples: me as Mommy, my husband as Daddy, my mom as Grandma, etc.

I would like this too! When my mom comments, it shows as mom, but I'd like her to show as grandma and my wife to show as mommy not just for myself, but for anyone who accesses the photo album.

I would like to change the name that is displayed for some family members. For example two people have the same name and I would like to have uncle/aunt/grandpa prefixes as appropriate.

This seems to be possible at the moment except the changes I make only show up when logged in as me, other users still see the names people used when they signed up.

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base