I suggest you ...

Please stop giving false "magic link" error messages

Short version: Family members of mine couldn't log in using the "magic link" on the iphone app, and I discovered they hadn't been looking at photos for a long while for that reason. They could have logged in to the app by other means, but it was also reasonable for them to rely on the so-called "magic link" method that you promote and advertise.

They clicked within the Lifecake app to get the magic link, and it got sent to their email, but they don't use Apple's native iphone mail app; they use Yahoo's mail app for iphone. And clicking on the so-called "magic link" with the same device doesn't work if they click on it from Yahoo's app. Worse still, the error message fails to tell them what the cause of the problem is, and in fact gives false information. The app inaccurately accuses them of pulling a "Houdini" and switching devices, which is not what happened. This is all on the same device.

I looked in your help section, and after a long search I found a statement saying "It's also important that you open the magic link from your phone's native mail client, do not to paste the link into a mobile web browser as it won't work for security reasons." First of all, they weren't trying to do either of these things; they were not using not a web browser nor Apple's native mail app, but a Yahoo mail app (not exactly an unusual app). Second, this is a silly limitation. Third, most importantly by far, even if the app developers want this limitation and/or can't figure out how to make the app work with third-party email apps like Yahoo, you should still **tell people ** that this is the issue and not **falsely** tell them that they are doing something that they aren't doing. When people told something they know to be false, they assume that app just doesn't work right (and they are right).

Yes, my family members could have used their passwords, but if you promote magic-link as an option, then they should be able to rely on that and it should work. If it has limitations, which it does, please **make that clear** (don't bury it in your help section on your website) and don't tell people they are pulling a "houdini" and switching devices when they not doing that. Providing false information and causing needless frustration is not a "security" feature.

We pay for this app; our family members should be able to log in using the methods you advertise, or at a minimum shouldn't be given inaccurate error messages. Thanks.

14 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)