I suggest you ...

Embed video links to YouTube

If we already have videos on YouTube, would it be possible to add them to the lifecake just by embedding a link - this might be easier as videos can take a long time to upload, download, etc. We don't store all of our videos locally (some are posted directly from the phone to YouTube), which then makes them hard to get on to Lifecake.

20 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Nicholas Zeitlin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi, Nick! This is a really interesting idea.

Our vision for lifecake is to be the oen single story of all the moments in our child’s life. One safe place where everything lives – whether the content was on the phone, your tablet, our computer or even on the Web.

Later this month we plan to enable importing directly from online sites like Flickr or Picasa or Facebook, so you don’t have to download from these sites and then upload again to lifecake. Youtube might also be one.

We plan to hold the content so that you have the comfort of knowing everything is safe in on one place, but we will also explore displaying content which might be held elsewhere. We will check into this and get back to you.

Thanks!

Nick

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Steve Welham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have voted this and have a real life user story. My son was in a school video that was posted on Youtube. I see Lifecake as a tightknit sharing tool for the close family so embedding a link would work... but I can also see the appeal of importing the Youtube video so that it is not lost if it gets deleted from the Youtube by the primary poster.

• Steve Welham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our school recently put some videos of the kids on youtube, I shared the link with our families on Lifecake using the "add story" function but it isn't a hyperlink and it looks kinda ugly.
    Of course just embedding youtube would be good, in this case, as well!

• Jon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Personally I use You Tube and Flickr for my videos and photos. (My photos and videos just about fit on a 1TB drive at the moment but even photos growing by over 30Gb a year.) Not sure I would trust lifecake as my primary storage for files at this stage of its life as company. Obviously users more sticky / more likely to go paid if using lifecake for storage so can understand why going that route. Would def use importers but would want to select particular content rather than all given volumes I have. (As Flickr and You Tube are partly an online backup, I see lifecake as more of a showcase of the best content that would want to print and share.)

• Nicholas Zeitlin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Got it - that is great to keep everything in one secure place. I think the 'direct import' from YouTube is actually a better idea - and would totally solve our issue.

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base